Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pattern play day1

This is actually the second card I made from the same materials. I am posting the first below. I didn't really like the color band I had next to the orange band so I covered it with another paper. It looks better, but I think the orange band takes over the card. This was learning how to use BIG patterns. I love this paper - what I have left but I think I am not as fond of it for cards. I like this top one better for some reason. If you have this paper, I am sure you recognize it. It is from a 12 x 12 stack. These were scraps, so now I have 2 cards from them. Think I will try day one again as soon as I have a chance. Hugs, Barb F

New Class this week day 2

This is from day 2 - it uses only ink. I added some gems. The paper I used is patterned and has those cute little flowers at the bottom. I cut off some of the edge designs. I cut out some Hero arts butterflies (reallly thin computer paper) and put them temporarily down. Then I stamped that zigzag pattern in different colors of ink. I started to remove a butterfly and realized it was just an unstamped place - you really didn't see a shape. So I actually stamped the butterflies. I would do it the other way around if I was doing it again - stamp the butterfly on the card and cover it with the cut mask and then stamp the zigzag. It still looked not quite right to me so I covered the butterflies again and used some distress ink just where they were. I chose a light one. Stamped the greeting and added the gems. It covers the entire card front.
I need to post these so I can post them to my class. If you are interested, it is going on this week.
Hugs to you all, Barb F

Friday, March 15, 2013

2 March Men

For the Maggie Lover's, today's post is right up your alley! Before I get into the post though, I have been making Operation Write Home cards and I am closing in on 100!! I only have 6 more to finish (yep - they are started). I am so excited to be able to send so many! I found that the amazon boxes (from all the amazon stuff we order online) are perfect. At least the last couple of things gave me 7" deep boxes. We are also trying to remodel our bath as well as our dishwasher has been giving us fits. Way too much for me!
So this first card is for one of my sons. Somehow I thought of him when I got this cute Edwin image of the pilot. He doesn't fly - Edwin does!
The plane is a Tim Holtz stamp and I did the background with a matching distress ink. That dp has been here for a long time. I loved this and wanted to be sure some of it showed. I had to mix my copics to match the colors. I don't do that very often as they are usually close enough but this one wasn't so I mixed them. You do that by coloring with the lighter one first and coloring right away over it with the more predominant color but the lighter shade. The two together will be darker than you think. Use a scrap of the same paper you are stamping on to test out your colors. Let them completely dry before you make up your mind. I match up to actual colors - take your test directly to the paper you are matching and look under really good light. Another thing you may not know, I always color underneath where I use Stickles. Depending on what color of stickles you put on top will give you different looks because there is color underneath. This card is kraft and I liked the way it came out.  Here is the inside:
I pieced a dp from the front on another piece from this collection - if I knew which one it was, I would have ordered another one as I liked it a lot. I used a star stamp for the stars and stickler whatever has stickles using silver. The two messages are done on die cuts that I did on my Vagabond. And here are the copics I used: E53, W3, E37,E31, E33, E57, E59, E00, E11, R20, BG93, BG72, C3.
That plane is probably one of my most favorite stamps. It really doesn't need anything once you stamp it. All the Magnolia stamps are my favorites! Guess I have a lot of favorites!!
This card is for a very athletic grandson. I found those darling letter beads somewhere - got a whole lot of them and thought that I could add his name on the banner. It is that lovely soft twine.  The only stickles are in the grass. Just had a good time laying this one out. I didn't have enough width on the papers that look as though they go behind the image, so I cut them and put a piece to each side. It works pretty well as they are only shy of about 1 1/2" and that gap is behind so it doesn't show. Here are the copics I used on this one: E00, E11, R20, R14, R17, YG95, Y21, Y26, E47, E49, E43, G99, G94, G85, YG67.
I do have two female birthday's coming up this month and will post again before too long. Sorry I have been so lax about posting - Will try a bit harder. Thanks to all of you for hanging in there! Hugs to you all, Barb F